Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Half Marathon Recap

This past Sunday, I ran my second half marathon with my amazing sister, Mere. We ran in the Gulf Coast Half Marathon on Pensacola Beach.

After running my first half about a year ago with my hubby, I really didn't know if I would do it again. I didn't exactly love running. I didn't decide to do another half until I went to cheer on my sister-in-law, Christy, at her half in January. I was up for the challenge again.

Training this time around was pretty good. And for the first time, I was starting to enjoy running. This was a new feeling for me. I would usually dread going out for a run. I finally found a comfortable pace, and decided that it wasn't about how fast I was running, but how I felt during the run.

We arrived at Pensacola Beach around 6ish on race day. The sun was rising, there was an incredible breeze, and it really couldn't have been a more beautiful day for a run. Mere and I lined up towards the back of the running line-up so we wouldn't be a roadblock for the fast runners :)

The first half of the race was pretty awesome. It was nice and cool, and our energy level seemed to stay up. We stayed good and hydrated. I felt great! About mile 10, it started getting really hot and my knees started aching, but I still felt really good. I was ecstatic when I saw the 12 mile marker...
As I neared the finish line, I saw my amazing family cheering me on. That makes all the difference in the world.
I finished with a time of 3:03. Yes...I am aware that is slow. But I don't care. I honestly felt awesome the entire race and finished with a smile on my face!

God answered so many of my prayers-- I had no dehydration issues, no side or stomach cramps, and had a lot of energy the whole race.

It is nice to know that I don't have the pressure to train anymore, and that I can just go out for a run when I feel like it. It will be a while before I do another half--but I definitely plan to keep running :)

Be blessed!
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment